Actually two hikes. Cabin again this weekend (this is becoming a habit and I'm okay with that). Friday night we wandered back to the Lower Wisconsin Riverway just before sunset and found two trails that didn't look like they'd seen humans in a while...deer: yes, foxes: yes, various other wildlife: yes, humans: not so much. The wildlife is incredibly active at that time of the day and the dogs stayed busy attempting to hunt things down in the tall grass (and not coming even remotely close to succeeding, hunting down biscuits in the living room occassionally poses a challenge for these two). There were birds everywhere. Two Canada geese were less than thrilled with our choice of hiking locale and spent a good fifteen minutes yelling at us for going near the water. Other than their incessant honking it was gloriously peaceful. The sunset was beautiful and as I could share the time with my husband and the pups I was loathe to think of anywhere else I would rather be at that moment.

Saturday brought a hike at Governor Dodge with the Shorts, Julie, and a total of six dogs. The weather was in the mid 50s and as the trail we chose was very open we all rolled up our long sleeves quickly and hurried into the shady areas. I'm excited to add some photos of Dodger and Brewer to the blog as they were finally able to join us for a hike.

Brew Crew
Dodgy Marie

In other news, my husband has purchased a gun from his uncle. He tells me it is a shotgun and that he plans to hunt turkeys with it. I'll take his word for it. It hasn't come out of its case in my presence and has been transported to his parent's house and his dad's gun cabinet (complete with lock). I am not a big proponent of 2nd Amendment rights* but as long as I don't have to see it, worry about it getting up in the middle of the night (on its own volition, obviously...I am concerned about things like that) and shooting someone, or look at any dead wildlife it produces, I'll just pretend it doesn't exist**.


*However, as I am a bit of a 1st Amendment fan, I recognize the slippery slope-ish dangers of eliminating any of the Bill of Rights...except maybe that one amendment about quartering soldiers (#3?)...couldn't we just accidentally replace that with something more meaningful?
**My hope is that he'll just forget about it himself.


This entry was posted on 4/12/2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Lindsay said...

    At least your husband's a citizen and can buy guns himself- Art isn't so I am, unforturnately, a gun owner.

  1. ... on 4/13/2009