Is it Friday afternoon yet? This may (like all weeks after a good long break) have been the longest week of my life. At one point today I was commending myself for being so productive and working through lunch. And then I looked at the clock. 10:03am. Poo. By 3:30, it felt like it must have been at least Wednesday of next week, and at that point I gave up and went home (I'd put in a couple hours of overtime earlier this week, so I wasn't being a rule breaker or anything exciting).
Besides the fact that it is the dreaded week back after after winter break, it has been one giant running-around-in-heels event after another since Tuesday. New student orientation on Tuesday, rescheduled December graduation (it was snowed out) on Wednesday, two days of faculty/staff inservice also on Wednesday as well as today, and tomorrow there will be a hundred or so high schoolers running around. For some reason, the recruiter is central to every single one of these activities (with the possible exception of inservice, as no one seems to realize I work at the college). To top it all off, Mike has the emergency pager this week, so he is extra special cranky. This is the week that people call him with "emergencies" like "our guest room toilet that we never use is maybe possibly leaking a little bit but we don't want you to come over right now (it is 3am afterall) but could you come immediately in the morning and don't worry about forgetting because we'll call you again in an hour to remind you" and "there is a weird smell coming from inside our furnace that is probably a dead animal and will you come over and get it out?"
I'm particularly impatient for this weekend to hurry up already as our friends Sarah and Joe and their dogs Rusty and Rooke are visiting this weekend. We're FINALLY going to get a chance to play our board games that require more than two players! Yeehah!
(Sarah, if you're reading this, I promise we'll do other stuff too!)


This entry was posted on 1/08/2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Analiese said...

    Although I'm sure it's not funny when it's actually happening, your description of peoples' plumbing "emergencies" cracked me up! Thanks for making me laugh!

  1. ... on 1/09/2009  
  2. Allison said...

    Oh, they generally crack me up too..but they make Mike cranky. I am going to start writing them down and may have to publish a book.

  3. ... on 1/09/2009