Sometimes I hate being a grownup. I've been hearing more and more horror stories about people losing their jobs, people who are well-educated and well-positioned and who should be somewhat insulated from an economic downturn. Now I'm beginning to worry a bit about what would happen if one of us lost our job. I'm thankful that Mike's job is relatively recession proof (because no matter what the economy does, people still need heat and working toilets), but my job is a lot more, shall we say, expendable. We lived on one salary (an apprentice plumber's salary at that) for a year while I was finishing grad school, but it wasn't pretty (my wardrobe still hasn't recovered, although that could also be due to my distaste for shopping). But now we've got a home loan appointment on Thursday, and we've got car payments on an almost-new car, and student loan payments, and two dogs to keep in tennis balls and biscuits. Thank goodness the credit cards are all paid off. It's true, we could be MUCH worse off. We've got nice new things, and no "stupid" debt, and a little in savings. It's just that I'd like to keep it that way and only have to sweat the small stuff. I was just starting to feel middle class again after the drought that comes from being a student for so long. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope we are able to weather the storm.


This entry was posted on 1/05/2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Lindsay said...

    Amen!
    Art and I are in the same situation: Semi-trucks will always be the preferred transportation of goods and will, therefore, need mechanics to work on them. Prosthetic eyes, eh, not so much. Things have slowed waaay down at my job, which has me quite worried. All you can do is prepare, save and keep on keepin' on, I guess!

  1. ... on 1/06/2009